Main Article Content
athletes, nutrition, health
The ketogenic diet (KD) has gained a lot of media attention in the last few years. Some athletes have adopted this diet for performance and body composition changes. While studies have reported mixed results on performance, the KD has shown consistent results in improving body composition, as well as improving other health conditions. What is unclear is how KD diet affects athletes’ gut microbiota. The gut microbiota is comprised of 10-100 trillion microbial cells known to influence overall health and disease of the host. A microbiota rich in diversity and beneficial bacteria has been associated with health, while a low diverse and decrease in beneficial bacteria microbiota has been associated with disease. Diet, exercise, stress, and other lifestyle factors have been shown to influence gut microbial composition and diversity. KD studies have been done primarily in mice or individuals with health conditions. KD experiments in mice have revealed a decrease in diversity; however, there is an increase in the number of beneficial bacteria. In humans, KD studies have resulted in correcting gut microbial imbalances in epileptic children; on the contrary, it may increase bacteria species associated with inflammation in obese subjects.
2. Gregory RM., Hamdan H., et al..A low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet combined with 6-weeks of crossfit training improves body composition and performance. Int. J Sports Exerc Med.2017; 3 (2).
3. Clemente JC., Ursell LK., et al. The impact of the gut microbiota on human health: an integrative view. Cell. 2016;(148 (6): 1258-1270.
4. Urbain P., Strom L., et al. Impact of a 6-week non-energy- restricted ketogenic diet on physical fitness, body composition and biochemical parameters in healthy adults. Nutr Metab. 2017.14 (17). PMID:28239404
5. Paoli A., Bianco A., Grimaldi KA. (2015). The Ketogenic Diet and Sport: A Possible Marriage? Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews. 2015;43(3):153-162.
6. Ursell LK, Metcalf J., et al. Defining the human microbiome. Nutr. Rev. 2012; 70 (1): S38-S44.
7. Iebba V., Totino V., et al. Eubiosis and dysbiosis: two sides of the microbiota. New Microbiol. 2016; 39 (1): 1-12.
8.. Zhang M., Yang XJ. Effects of a high fat diet on intestinal microbiota and gastrointestinal diseases. World J Gastroenterol. 2016; 22(40): 8905-8909.
9.. Villano I., Messina A., et al.Exercise modifies the gut microbiota with positive health effects. Oxid Med. Cell Longev. 2017: 3831972.
10. Structure, function and diversity of the healthy human microbiome .The Human Microbiome project consortium. Nature. 2012; 486, 207-214
11. Clapp, M., Aurora N., et al. Gut microbiota’s effect on mental health: The gut-brain axis. Clin Pract. 2017; 7 (4): 987
12. Nguyen TL., Viera-Silva S., et al. How informative is the mouse of a human gut microbiota research? Dis Model Mech. 2015; 8(1): 1-16. https://www .ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4283646/
13. Ma D., Wang AC, et al. Ketogenic diet enhances neurovascular function with altered gut microbiome in young healthy mice. Sci Rep. 2018; 8: 6670.
14. Swidsinki A., Dorffel Y., et al. (2017). Reduced mass and diversity of the colonic microbiome in patients with multiple sclerosis and their improvement with ketogenic diet. Front Microbiol. 2017; 8: 1141
15. Xie G., Zhou Q. Ketogenic diet poses a significant effect on imbalanced gut microbiota in infants with refractory epilepsy. World J Gastroenterol. 2017; 23 (33): 6164-6171.
16. Brinkworth GD., Noakes M., et al. Comparative effects of a very low carbohydrate, high fat and high-carbohydrate, low-fat weight loss diets on bowel habits and feacal short chain fatty acids and bacterial populations. British J Nutri. 2009; 101 (10): 1493-1502.
17. David LA., Maurice CF., (2014). Diet rapidly and reproducibly alters the human gut microbiome. Nature.2014; 505 (7484): 559-63.
18. Tagliabue A., Ferraris C., et al. Short-term impact of a classical ketogenic diet on gut microbiota in GLUT1 Deficiency Syndrome in a 3- month prospective observational study. Clin Nutr. 2017; 17: 33-37.